Muhammad Izzuddin Syakir
|Dr. Muhammad Izzuddin Syakir Ishak
|Email : email@example.com|
|Ext : 2110|
|Blog : Facts & Perspectives|
Green material technology for watershed management
Syakir is an Environmental Geoscientist and a Council Member of Centre for Global Sustainability Studies, Universiti Sains Malaysia (CGSS). Currently, he serves as a Coordinator of Centre for Business Development (CBD), located at Level 2, Bangunan Canselori, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
He received his first degree from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, B.Sc (Environmental Science) in 2004. His first employment was with Friend of the Earth (FOE) Malaysia (a member of Friend of the Earth International-FOEI), Penang. In FOE, he was responsible for environmental research and advocacy.
In early 2006, he ventured into environmental consultancy businesses as a Research Officer, working on water quality monitoring and environmental audit. His last position in industry before joining the academia was an Assistant Manager of Sime Darby Plantations (June, 2007). Besides operations management, he also was an officer in-charge to Environment, Safety and Health (ESH) of the business unit.
Syakir began his career in academia as a Fellow of Academic Staff Training Scheme (ASTS). The fellowship enabled him to pursue post graduate studies: Masters of Engineering (Environmental) in Universiti Teknologi Malaysia and PhD (Earth Sciences) in University of Ottawa, Canada.
Besides PhD research, Syakir also worked as a Teaching Assistant (TA) in University of Ottawa. He TA Introduction to Hydrogeology (third year course) and Earth: How its work? (a general introductory course).
Briefly, Syakir’s research interest can be simplified as Water: System, Technology and Sustainability . His current work is on the application of biodegradable materials for hazards mitigations (i.e pollution and erosion controls). The work is a continuity of his fundamental research on water hazards and disaster.
As well, he still involves actively with the environmental management services as a professional Scheduled Waste Manager (Certified Environmental Professional in Scheduled Waste Management -CePSWaM). Internationally, Syakir serves as a Chief Scientific Investigator of Malaysia-IAEA-Coordinated Research Project (2014-2017) for Global Network of Isotopes for Rivers (GNIR). The network is based in Vienna, Austria.
He also blogs at Facts & Perspectives
TREATMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF SCHEDULED WASTE ,IEK 306/IEK219
ENVIRONMENTAL SAFETY AND HEALTH LEGISLATION, IEK 115
UNIT OPERATION LABORATORY, IEK 201
ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGY LABORATORY, IEA 300
- Isotope Geochemistry
- Watersheds management
- Green-materials applications for hazards mitigation (pollutions, erosion)
- Sustainability Studies (WEHAB +3)
- IAEA-CRP-Global Network of Isotopes in Rivers (2014-2017)
- The Water Balance of Perak River Basin: Stable Isotope Constrains, in collaboration with International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Coordinated Research Project (IAEA-CRP-GNIR-F33021) (2014-2017). "Application and Development of Isotope Techniques to Evaluate Human Impacts on Water balance and Nutrient Dynamics of Large River Basins."- Principal Investigator
- An Environmental Forensic Study of Flood Aftermath in Kelantan: Stable Isotope Constraints, Sub project under Transdiscplinary Research Grant Scheme (TRGS). Ministry of Education, Apr 2015-Apr 2016. Principal Investigator
- Water and Carbon Cycles in Tropical River Basin of Malaysia:Its significance to regional climate-hydrology system. RUI. Feb 2016-Feb 2018. Principal Investigator
- Characterization of Modern Stable Isotopic Fingerprint of Oxygen and Deuterium in Hydrologic Cycle. Short term Grant (Mar 20160 to Feb 2018). Principal Investigator
N.F.Asyikeen, 2015, Sustainability Studies on Global MNCs
Yong Yi, 2015, Land Cover Mapping, Perak Watershed
Haslinda Binti Amirul, 2015, Deuterium Excess in Malaysian watersheds
Norfahanim Binti Abdul Aziz, 2015, Isotopic Composition of Oxygen and Deuterium in Precipitation, River and Groundwater, Peninsular Malaysia
Lee, K. Y., Syakir, M. I., Clark, I. D., & Veizer, J. (2013) Isotope Constraints on the Aquatic Carbon Budget: Langat Watershed, Malaysia. Aquatic Geochemistry, 1-33.
Syakir M , Lee. K.Y., Clark I & Veizer J. (2014) A Reconnaissance Study of Water and Carbon Fluxes in a Tropical Watershed of Peninsular Malaysia: Stable isotope constraints. Proceedings. IAHS Publication 363.
Veizer,J. Lee,K.Y., Clark,.I.D.,Paul.F.Ferguson,& Muhammad.I.Syakir. (2015). Water and Carbon Budget of Large Terrestrial Watersheds: Isotope Constraints. International Symposium on Isotope Hydrology.Revisiting Foundation and Exploring Frontiers. IAEA. Vienna
Lee, K. Y., Syakir, M. I., Clark, I. D., & Veizer, J. (2013). The Fluvial Carbon Cycle in Two Peninsular Malaysia Basins: An Isotope Reconnaissance Study. 125th Anniversary Annual Meeting and Expo. The Geological Society of America. Denver. Colorado. USA
M.I. Syakir. (2012) The forgotten cycle: Understanding the role of water cycle and its significance to the planetary energy budget and carbon cycle. . Graduate Students’ Association University of Ottawa. Oral Presentation. Ottawa.
Syakir M, Clark I & Veizer J (2012) Isotopic constraints on water and carbon fluxes in Langat Basin, Peninsular Malaysia: A Reconnaissance study. Elements, 76(6) 2431. Oral Presentation. Goldschmidt Conference. Montreal. Canada.
Lee, K., Syakir, M.I., Veizer, J. and I.D. Clark (2012). Carbon Isotope Tracking of the Fluvial Carbon Cycle in two Southeast Asian Watersheds. Poster presented at the 2012 AGU Fall Meeting.
M.I.Syakir. (2014) Close Engagement Between Government, Locals Needed. Letter to Editor. News Straits Times. Malaysia
M.I.Syakir. (2014) Leaning skills, networking increase employability. Letter to Editor. News Straits Times. Malaysia
M.I.Syakir. (2014) Cumulative Grade Points Average: Crucial to Cultivate Self-Confidence. Letter to Editor. News Straits Times. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2014) Earth Hour: A Global Movement for a Better World. Letter to Editor. News Straits Times. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2014) People and Climate: Share and Care for Water Resources. Letter to Editor. News Straits Times. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2013) Practicing spirit of Hijrah in Modern Era. Letter to Editor. News Straits Times. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2013) Trans-Pacific Partnership: TPP Discourse Eases Fears. Letter to Editor. News Straits Times. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2012) Muslim Intellectualism: Return to the Quran to Create Knowledge. Letter to Editor. News Straits Times. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2012) Lynas Plant: Great Care Needed on Waste Management. Letter to Editor. News Straits Times. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2010) Rethinking Modernity. Muslim Link. Ottawa. Canada
M.I.Syakir. (2009) Mencari perspektif sebenar pembangunan tanah tinggi Malaysia. Rencana. Milenia Muslim. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2008) Mampukah Malaysia beralih kearah ekonomi 'bebas' minyak?. Rencana. Utusan Malaysia. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2008) Integrasi Pendidikan Alam Sekitar Perspektif Islam. Rencana. Utusan Malaysia. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2008) Blending Asian Culture for Nature's Sake. Malaysia Prospect. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2008) Solat, alternatif Yoga. Surat Pembaca. Berita Harian. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2008) Kualiti Makanan Jadi Keutamaan. Rencana. Utusan Malaysia. Malaysia
M.I.Syakir. (2008) Bila agenda memusnah dianggap membina. Rencana. Utusan Malaysia. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2008) Perspektif: Bajet 2009. Surat Pembaca. Berita Harian. Malaysia
M.I.Syakir. (2008) Ilmi Jadi Asas Kekuatan Bangsa. Rencana. Utusan Malaysia. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2008) Menangani Gejala Fitnah Internet. Rencana. Milenia Muslim. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2007) Spread the "Mottainai" Spirit. Forward. Malaysia.
M.I.Syakir. (2007) It's a matter of a good attitude. Forward. Malaysia
M.I.Syakir. (2002) Globalisasi Perspektif Ekologi. Rencana. Berita Harian. Malaysia.
A. Academic Award
1. Universiti Sains Malaysia Academic Staff Training Scheme (ASTS) – (2007-2014)
B. USM Excellent Award
- 2015.Panelist: "Graduation:The Reality". Student Development Programme. USM. April, 28.
- 2015. Invited Speaker:"The Career of Technologist and Beyond". Seminar of Research and Career Guidance: Survival Kit After Graduation. DKA.USM Feb 28, 2015
- 2014. Invited Speaker: Water & Sustainability. Centre for Global Sustainability Studies (CGSS). (Dec 10, 2014 USM Penang), (Dec 11, 2014 USM Engineering), (Dec 13, 2014 USM Health Kubang Kerian).
- 2006. Research Associate-Department of Fisheries-USM for Pulau layang-layang lagoon enhancement (Productivity and Water Quality Analysis), Department of Prime Minister, Malaysia.(May 2006)
- 2006. Environmental Audit Team (All Elite Technology Sdn Bhd) for Bakun Hydro Electric Project- Compile, Interpret Data and Project Management (Aug-Oct, 2006)
2015, Malaysia International Young Inventors Olympiad (MIYIO)- Judge, 3 to 5 Apr.
2015, Volunteer for USM Flood Aftermath Relief in Kelantan, 9/1/2015-11/1/2015